birds like wires


Amazon Fire TV Licence Error

I recently picked up an Amazon Fire TV Stick; seeing as I have a Prime account, it seemed like a reasonable plan to make the most of it. However, I hit upon a problem pretty much immediately. After successfully registering, I first noticed that there was no sign of the BBC iPlayer app. Then I realised that any film or TV show I tried to watch would fail miserably with a deeply unhelpful ‘LICENSE_ERROR’ message.

I contacted Amazon and received a canned response describing something that wasn’t quite my issue, but reassured me that other people had reported it, they were working on it, but they couldn’t give me an estimated time for fixing it. Great. I know when a company is kindly telling me not to hold my breath for help.


This evening, the penny dropped. All of the prices for paid content were being shown in dollars instead of pounds sterling. Obviously something about my account was being American and I was being blocked from the US content when I tried to play it. If you’re also having this issue, head over to this link:

With any luck you should see a box just under the Amazon banner telling you that your Kindle account can be moved over to from Now, I had no idea that I had an Kindle account; I don’t own a Kindle and it’s not obvious that the Kindle store and the Prime system are tied together. But it would appear that they are.

Keep reading...

Oculus Rift Over Fibre Optic

Well here’s a niche article if ever there was one.

In our recording studios, we have no computers. Rather, the computers are kept in a separate room, connected to each studio by a mixture of analogue audio cabling, CAT5e and fibre optic. The fibre is used for FireWire and any display connectivity we may need, using whichever converters are suitable.

This results in super-silent rooms with no whirring or squeaking or clicking, but it does present some odd challenges. Not all conversion systems are made equal and not all devices will happily get along with the adapters we use, for whole host of reasons. So when we started exploring the world of immersive 3D with Oculus Rift, I suspected I may have some headaches.

Display Chatter

Adding a new display in most places involves nothing more than plugging it in, but in our setup we first have to program the transmission end of the fibre converter with the EDID of the display we’re about to use. This way the computer knows what it’s talking to without actually being connected to the real thing. Seeing as the Rift’s video is nothing more than a display on a HDMI cable, you might assume that the same technique would work just fine. This is not the case.

Keep reading...

Failed Core Storage Conversion

We have a Mac mini connected to an external storage box via FireWire. In a reasonably sensible manner, someone pointed Time Machine at one of the volumes on the DAS, thinking they should back the machine up to this location. They also thought also it would be best to encrypt the backup; very laudable.

However, this triggered a conversion process into an Apple Core Storage volume, which did not complete successfully. Luckily, OS X stopped trying and remounted the volume as HFS+. All appeared to be well, but after a reboot things were much less cheerful.

On restarting the machine, the volume was missing. Checking with diskutil list returned this layout:

   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *17.6 TB    disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Backup                  2.0 TB     disk1s2
   3:          Apple_CoreStorage                         15.6 TB    disk1s3
   4:                 Apple_Boot Boot OS X               134.2 MB   disk1s4

But diskutil cs list returned this:

Keep reading...